This new permanent gallery explores the deadly world of the Border Reivers. For 300 years the people of the Anglo-Scottish Border region lived in a war zone. Invading armies caused terror, destruction and death. From this conflict emerged ruthless men who were expert raiders, horsemen and cattle thieves. Their surnames survive to this day. History knows them as the Border Reivers.
Visit the new Reivers Gallery and:
- Find out how Reivers lived and raided
- Look at Border landscapes, Pele Towers and Bastles.
- Discover Reiver weapons and armour
- Listen to episodes of Reiver raids
- See a Pele Tower under attack
- Become a Reiver - try on the costume of a border bandit
- Do you have a Reivers surname? Find out!