Chadwick Auxiliary Hospital, Etterby Scaur
The Chadwick Auxiliary Hospital was based in Chadwick Memorial Industrial School, which had been established in 1903 as a boarding school for the education of Roman Catholic boys. During the Great War the school buildings were donated to the British Red Cross for the provision of medical care.
Chadwick opened on 25 March 1915, initially offering 23 beds to wounded soldiers with this rising to 45 as the war waged on. During the war Chadwick received 627 patients, performing 75 operations. Under the command of Mrs Cecil Donald MBE, only one of Chadwick’s patients would lose their life.
In May of 1915 a disaster would strike on the railway just outside Carlisle, and would fill the beds at Chadwick and hospitals across the city. The Quintinshill rail disaster occurred when a troop train, collided with a stationary local train, and was then hit by a passenger train. The troop train was carrying about 500 members of the 7th Battallion, Royal Scots Regiment from Edinburgh to Liverpool for mobilisation. More than 200 died, and about the same amount were wounded. Some of the wounded came to Carlisle and were treated at the Infirmary, Murrell Hill House, Fusehill, and here at Chadwick.
In this photograph, patients and staff from Chadwick await the funeral cortege of two local men who had perished in the disaster. Francis Scott, the driver of the troop train, lived on Etterby Road and James Hannah, his fireman, lived at nearby Scaurbank Road.
The last patients left the hospital on 7 March 1919, and the building returned to being used as a school and then later an orphanage. The building is once again in use as a school, Austin Friar’s has been based in the building since 1951.