Cumberland and Westmorland War Memorial
During the war, Carlisle’s Citizens' League had been raising funds to support the many different services in the city. Following the war, it was decided to spend the accumulated funds on a war memorial, dedicated to the fallen from Cumberland and Westmorland.
In 1920 the League purchased Rickerby Park for £11,500 and erected a war memorial and a footbridge connecting the park to the city. The memorial was designed by Sir Robert Lorimer and was unveiled by Lord Lonsdale on May 25 1922.
‘To the immortal memory of the men and women of Cumberland and Westmorland who gave their lives during the Great War and in honour of the glorious services of the
Westmorland and Cumberland Yeomanry
Cumberland Brigade Royal Field Artillery
Westmorland detachment R A M C’
Following the Second World War the memorial was updated to include a memorial to those who lost their lives in that, and subsequent, conflicts.