Fusehill War Hospital
Since 1863, these buildings on Fusehill Street had been in use as The Carlisle Union Workhouse, the building of the workhouse was commissioned by the Carlisle Poor Law Union in response to overcrowding at the other workhouses in the city. The main building housed almost 500 inmates. The smaller building on the site was used as an infirmary.
In April 1916 it was recognised that there was an increasing need for military hospitals in the North West, as Fazakerley in Liverpool was nearing capacity. The inmates of the workhouse were transferred to nearby facilities and the conversion of the buildings began in October 1917. Fusehill could only provide beds for 400 men, so another 250 beds were installed at Brook Street and Norman Street schools. Unlike auxiliary hospitals in the city, these three sites were managed by the War Office, rather than the Red Cross or the Order of St.John.
After the end of the Great War in November 1918, wounded soldiers continued to be treated at Fusehill, until it closed in June 1919. The Carlisle Journal reported that, during its short existence, Fusehill War Hospital treated 9,809 patients and at many times its capacity had reached 861.
Following the war the buildings returned to their former use as a workhouse and infirmary. In 1938, Fusehill was converted into a municipal hospital, being used a military hospital once more during World War II.
With the introduction of the National Health Service in 1948 Fusehill became the City General Hospital, with the infirmary becoming the City Maternity Hospital.
The hospital closed in 1999 and the buildings now form part of the Fusehill Campus of the University of Cumbria.