Caldbeck Caldbeck, Allerdale, Cumbria, England CALMG : 1948.60 armour

This helmet is part of the Caldbeck parish armour, dating to the time of the Border Reivers in the sixteenth century. The parish armour supply was used by Cumberland 'statesman' yeoman farmers to defend against Scottish or reiver raids. This type of helmet is called a morion, and came into use after 1550. two pieces of metal breast armour, two back pieces and two morion type helmets (one badly corroded). Caldbeck parish armour

Larger images of this object