Carlisle Market Place in front of the Old Town Hall 1870-80 by Herbert Lees.
A crowded scene of Carlisle market place on a dull day, filled with covered stalls, vendors and their customers. The clocktower of the town hall is visible to left of composition, partially obscured by a substantial building standing in the foreground.
After attending the Royal Academy schools, Lees moved to Carlisle in 1858 as headmaster of the city's art school. After a brief spell in Sunderland, he resumed his post in Carlisle and remained until his retirement in 1898.