Photograph of Locomotive No. 6238, "City of Carlisle".
6238 “City of Carlisle”
A famous Stanier Princess Coronation Class Pacific steam locomotive built at Crewe for the L.M.S Railway Company in the 1930s. These locomotives were designed to haul express trains at high speed between London and Glasgow. The locomotives were built for speed and in June 1937, the prototype locomotive No. 6220 "Coronation" created a new world record for steam traction for 114 mph.
L.M.S named many locomotives of this class after the cities the company served. Carlisle was a vital station in the British rail network and was selected. "City of Carlisle" was delivered in 1939 shortly after the outbreak of World War II. The locomotive was used to haul heavy passenger trains. The streamlined appearance captured the imagination of the public but engine crews and fitters regarded the streamlining as a hindrance to maintenance. Cleaning was limited and the bright livery was quickly covered in soot and dirt. During World War II (1939-1945) the trains were painted black to avoid detection by the Luftwaffe. The streamlined casing also disappeared in 1947.
In 1948 the railways were nationalised. ‘The "City of Carlisle" locomotive became No 46238 of British Railways in 1949. The engine plate is on display in the Border Galleries of the museum alongside a photograph of the streamlined locomotive. Locomotive 46238 served the West Coast Mainline until 1964. When the engine was finally scrapped it had covered 1.6 million miles. The locomotive was known locally as a “Lizzie.”
- Locomotive designed to haul express trains at high speed between London and Glasgow. It was named "City of Carlisle" because Carlisle was a key stopping place on this route.
- The photograph shows the Art Deco design of the train from the 1930s when it was initially painted a stylish red and gold. During World War II trains were painted black to protect them from German planes.
- The railways were nationalised in 1948, and "City of Carlisle" became locomotive No 46238. Known locally as Lizzie, it covered 1.6million miles, until scrapped in 1964