Tullie House, Castle Street
At the outbreak of war in 1914, Tullie House was home to a museum, a public library, an art gallery, the Mechanics’ Institute, Technical Institute and the School of Art.
During the war many of Tullie House’s staff helped with the war effort. The librarian Walter Travers McIntire took on the role of Commandant of a Voluntary Aid Detachment, managing a hospital for wounded soldiers. Private Samuel Rutherford Gamble worked in Tullie House’s library and joined the army as a signaller for the 13th Battalion the King’s Regiment. On 28 March 1918, at the age of 19, he was listed as missing in action . He is commemorated on the Arras Memorial in Northern France, which commemorates 34,785 soldiers of the forces of the United Kingdom, South Africa and New Zealand, with no known grave.
The Art Mistress at the School of Art, Mary Slee, used her knowledge of the city to create history books, which were sold to raise funds for the local auxiliary hospitals caring for wounded soldiers.
The Museum remained open as normal and a number of significant donations were received during the war, however for some time in 1917-1918 the Art Gallery was closed as it became the office for the Food Control Committee. Food Control Committees were set up across the country in response to food shortages. The committees met regularly to set maximum prices for food stuffs to discourage profiteering, eventually taking on the responsibility for rationing which would come in across the country by the summer of 1918.