Tullie House Museum & Art Gallery Trust is a charitable trust. We have heritage, culture, community and learning at our heart.
We care for outstanding collections of national significance and create opportunities, experiences and learning for all. We use our buildings and collections to tell stories, explore the world around us and transform lives. We are a community resource that is loved by thousands of people across the city and beyond. Tullie House is one of Carlisle and Cumbria’s greatest cultural assets. It is a museum and art gallery which bridges the global and the local, that is renowned for the quality of its collections, exhibitions and engagement.
Your support will help us to care for the collections which are the catalyst underpinning all of this activity. Your support makes us fit for the 21st century.
Leaving a legacy
We rely on the generosity of people like you in helping to protect the future of Tullie House. A gift in your Will of any size to Tullie House will have impact. You will be playing a significant part in inspiring future generations, conserving your local collections and providing a valued service to your local community.
If you would like to acknowledge the pleasure that Tullie House has given you, your family and friends, a gift in your Will can provide a way to leave your legacy.
The impact of your legacy
- Help us to protect, research and display over 700,000 artefacts
- Develop and care for over 1,000 works of art for everyone to enjoy
- Preserve one of Britain’s best collections of wildlife specimens and inspire future conservationists
- Protect and share Carlisle and Cumbria’s history for future generations
Programmes & Learning
- Your support can help provide resources to deliver our next world class exhibition
- Share our belief that learning should be available to all through our diverse programme
- Help us to provide school children with fun, hands-on learning experiences outside of the classroom
Community & Engagement
- Give young people a place to be inspired and discover new talents
- Help us provide a safe space for the most vulnerable members of our community to share stories and make memories
- Help to share and embrace Carlisle’s rich history and heritage, in all its diversity
Types of legacy you can gift
There are three types of gifts that can be left in your Will.
A Pecuniary Gift
This is a specific amount of money that you would like to leave. If you decide to leave a Pecuniary Gift it can be given to a specific area of activity or it can be put into an unrestricted fund to support the museum and our activity to respond to our most pressing need:
- Current projects - a designated fund which identifies a current project or supports a wide range of our current work.
- Future Fund - an expendable endowment fund securing a long-term future for Tullie House, growing and generating annual income for the Trust.
A Residuary Gift
This may be a percentage or the whole of your estate that you would like to gift, once other wishes and family have been provided for.
A Specific Gift
A physical item, object or collection you wish to leave.
Legacy questions answered
Tullie House is unable to advise you on the law or on the processes relating to your Will but we can answer some initial questions;
Will Tullie House have to pay inheritance tax on my donation?
No, any donation to Tullie House is exempt from inheritance tax because we are charity. It will also ensure that the value of your estate doesn’t decrease due to tax. For example, if you have an estate worth £1m and you donate 10% to Tullie House (£100,000), £575,000 of the estate is taxed at 36% rather than the standard 40% over £325,000.
Can I leave a part of my art collection to Tullie House?
Yes, we love receiving art work and collections. However, we do have a Collections Development and Acquisitions Policy we adhere to, so it is worth speaking to a member of our team prior to gifting a particular item or collection to Tullie House.
What is the future of Tullie House?
Tullie House has been a museum and centre for learning since it’s opening in 1893. Tullie House is an important part of Carlisle and Cumbria’s culture. At this point in history we celebrate our 125th year and look to our future. We have plans to develop the museum and our commitment to the community. We are grateful to our major funders Carlisle City Council and Arts Council England for their support but also rely on the generosity of others to ensure we can continue to play a significant part in the future of our community.
Get in touch with us
Any gift you decide to leave for Tullie House will make a difference. A gift will enable Tullie House to continue nurturing and inspiring future generations. It will be beneficial to speak to the team at Tullie House before you write a gift into your Will. We’re happy to have a conversation with you about this at your convenience.
Please note that when considering leaving a gift in your Will we recommend you seek professional advice from your lawyer. Tullie House staff are unable to advise on the law or on the processes directly relating to Wills.
To start a conversation, you can contact a member of the Tullie House team.
For more information on legacies contact our Development team at firstname.lastname@example.org
For queries regarding items that you may consider gifting in your Will contact the Curatorial Team, 01228 618735, Curatorialenquiries@tulliehouse.org
- Download the Legacy Brochure (1.73 MB)